Tonight I went to a movie and walked out thinking. And, the thoughts were not clear cut, one way or the other, but mangled, jagged, lumpy, too hot, too cold, pointy, uncomfortable. Heaven forbid, we encounter a thought that is uncomfortable, or, actually, encounter anything that is uncomfortable. For the first time in a long while, it didn't matter if my ass was sore from a plastic chair, or my throat was dry from needing a drink, or my stomach was growling because it was hungry.... my brain was chugging along, working working working, thinking, thinking, thinking.
I went to the Lawrence, Kansas premier of 'CSA- the Confederate States of America'.
I had heard it was a 'what if' kind of movie, a 'mockumentary'. And, so, it seemed, at least on paper, to be kind of flip, charming, clever. But, I was not prepared for the impact it had on me. Something actually impacted me. And, just for that, I am grateful. The movie told The Truth and it wasn't pretty. It put a mirror up to our very vapid, comfortable, luke warm existence and turned it on its' ass. I caught myself wanting to say, 'whoa, wait, say that again? What? Huh? ' over and over and over again. I needed to think about it, but, it kept on going and going, like history does.
I was mesmerized and I wanted to see more and listen more and not say more. I wanted to listen and I wanted to think. This movie offered viewers a chance to contemplate things that aren't so pretty, things in our very recent past that depict the kind of selfish species we are.
If I wasn't so tired, I'd stay up to think more about this movie, but, I'm too tired. It made me want to re-read history, to dig a little deeper, to take the time to listen to the answer. When did history stop being uncomfortable? History, if it is told truthfully, IS uncomfortable.
No comments:
Post a Comment