Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I suspect that Walmart executives have a pictore of me on some bulletin board that reads, 'humor her and we'll make some dough'. Today was the grand opening of the Walmart Super Center. I have asked cashiers at Walmart for months, 'uh, when is the grocery store part opening?' I am sure they get that question 100 times a day. And, the stock answer was, 'in a few months'. Well, it is open. And, dork that I am, I was there to check it out.

And, here I sit at my desk, having eaten an italian sub, a diet coke and cookies in minutes. And, all for less than the price of a value meal. And, that is how Walmart sucker punches the competition.

Walmart is smart, sneaky, strategic. They know that a 12-pack of diet coke costs, generally, $3.77 at Dillons. So, why not make it $2.75 everyday at Walmart? Yep. They know that getting a sub at Dillons at the deli costs $5.00 for a foot long. So, why not make the same sub for, say, $2.98? And, while they are at it, why not make the ailes nice and wide? And, why not display fruit in a beautiful pyramids so that the peaches and plums and cherries can show off their lovely color? See? THAT is what makes Walmart rock.

Ok, I know I will catch flack for this. But, I always find what I need at Walmart. And, it's going to get worse. Now, I can buy hamburger AND an outfit in one, fell swoop. Oh, and, I can also get my eyes checked, haircut and do some banking. Walmart wants us to spend our entire day there, moving along like zombies under their spell. I get it. And, I'm a sucker. Here I am, on my lunch hour, buying things I don't need and wandering down aisles, aimlessly. Yes, Master, Yes, Master, Yes, I need that Sam's Choice package of cookies.... Yes, Master....

And, here I am, at my desk, eating away and gulping down this pop. And, I feel sick. Dammit all to hell. They snared me. I'm a Walmart Zombie. I must defend myself against this.

But, I'm intrigued. As a business person, I am in awe of those that succeed. Oh, I know I have, but, it's different. For me, it's in spite of me, that we succeed. Not, because of me. But, man, Walmart. It's amazing.

Well, now that I've eaten too much, it's back to reality. Be careful of the Walmart spell. It will poison you!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

I am a proud Kansan, blessed with a great family. I am pursuing a graduate degree in Social Work. Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. I choose livin!