Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Found It -- That Pit Bull in Me

It's cold in Kansas. It's not the kind of cold you can wing it, and just wear a jacket. It's just plain cold. I've had an interesting morning. I began a part time job cleaning houses. A couple of hours first thing in the morning, and then I begin my real job. But, this is not easy. There have been bizarre problems with transportation -- got stuck on a sheet of ice in the country last week, and then today, couldn't get the key to work in the lock of the house. Strange. But, for some reason, I'm not seeing these as signs to abandon this job. I've come across that part of my personality that defines me. It's the 'Once Rose gets ahold of something, she don't let go' part of me. Now, others who have 'walked this walk' the last week, have left. One cleaning lady just never returned, and another one, who began today, I doubt I'll see again. The rest of the world can walk away. But, I just can't. I don't know why. Just can't.

So, tomorrow we will clean a lot of houses. I have a full day tomorrow, with meetings and this and that. At least with this schedule, I am losing weight. I'm sleeping well. I hit the pillow and before Dr. Phil can say, 'see you next time', I'm down for the count. The kids said, 'mom, we are proud of you'. I'm a little proud of me, too.

It's illuminating to see the way other people live. Now I get it: these sparkling clean houses I have wondered, 'how do they keep their house so clean?' Well, they aren't keeping them clean. Cleaning people are keeping them clean! During this strange trip of my life, I've rediscovered the following:

1. Keep a supply of old rags available for cleaning.
2. Keep a set of cleaning supplies under the sink of every bathroom.
3. Magic Erasers are ... magic!
4. Start from the top down, dusting from the top of the room, on down.
5. Rub until it shines

So, in the last few weeks, my own abode is getting a makeover. My daughter and I cleaned out the fridge, I cleaned me kitchen, scoured my own bathroom. It felt good. I deserve it. And, there is something so satisfying about seeing a house, clean. Instant results.

I'm gonna hang on to this funny little job. It's teaching me something about myself. I've recovered that part of myself that makes me fight hard.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

I am a proud Kansan, blessed with a great family. I am pursuing a graduate degree in Social Work. Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. I choose livin!