Today I cleaned a house that was decorated with roosters and lots of them. I don't like roosters, but, I sure liked this house. Every surface had a rooster on it/in it/under it on top of it. Roosters. Those rotten, snotty fowl that seem just so darned mean. The foulest of the fowl.
I'm just astounded at how orderly people can be. A couple of things I've learned from this new venture: magic erasers are the secret weapon of choice with many housecleaners. They clean everything. I now travel with them, armed in case a homeowner has some lame-o cleaning supplies.
Ok, now on to the other foul. Foul Language. I work with someone who drops the F bomb in every other sentence. It rubs me the wrong way, while I try and rub out the dirt in the sink, or, dust around a kids room. F this, and F that. I hate it. I'm no prude. I use it, generally when I'm driving and get cut off. But, in someone else's house? Within earshot of our boss? It bugs me. There's alot of things that bug me about this. The work ethic. Where is it? Whatever happened to respecting someone, as a starting point and then, working your way down? Instead it's respect no one, except oneself and then, maybe, you'll respect someone else, if you feel like it.
Last week, I had to drive my gi-hugic van to a 'job'. And, the house was on practically a cliff. Snow, ice, and the van. Despite having my foot on the gas, I went backwards, slid into a line of trees, and kind of crashed. Crashed is such a noisy word. No, I kind of landed, slid, into some trees. What a mess. I thought, 'for $8.00/hour, I'm doing this? For someone's toilet?' Oh, bother. But, after a string of prayers, not F bombs, the van and I were once again on the narrow little ribbon of road, back to town. I was victorious.
This weekend, I cleaned with da-boss. And, I listened intently on her reasoning for why she does things the way she does. And, it finally dawned on me, while she was paying me: she wants us to hustle because she's paying us by the hour. And, I asked her, point blank today, 'am I too slow?'
'Yes, you are awfully slow, but, your saving grace is you are one heck of a cleaner'.
Hmmm. Ok, I'll think about this. I kinda like that, but, I want to be a fast cleaner AND a good cleaner. Both. At the same time. The best toilet cleaner in all the land! The best duster this side of the rockies! Ok, I'm a complete nerd. That's the problem.
Valentines day is a'comin. I don't care much. But, I plan on sharing the love with my friends. Thank god for friends. I'd be a goner without them. Thank god for family, too. Friends and family that make me laugh. That's the best.
It is so cold and, I could lay down on the floor of my office, right now, and fall asleep, I'm so tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment